Sunday, May 22, 2011

Communication Makes the World Go 'Round.....

Language Blog
Part 1
I found not being able to speak, use ASL, or write what I was trying to communicate with my partner to of been extremely difficult for me. In fact, I did not even know where to start! I was “lost for words”, per se, on how to even begin to communicate what I wanted to talk about. I would have to say that my partner did respond uniquely to this exercise in that they started to act as if we were playing charades. They would try not to speak and use body language or gestures but then they would result in words. It was most evident that the culture being able to communicate complex ideas or thoughts was the one who was able to speak a translated language. The one who was able to use any form of symbols was able to communicate more efficiently than the one who was not able to use symbolic language as a way of communicating. I could see a sense of ‘lower grade” impression being thought towards the culture that could not use symbolic language. There was a sense that I was not adequate for a conversation because of my lack of words to further the complex thoughts and/or ideas. I know firsthand that the hearing impaired is ones in our culture that experience difficulty in communicating a spoken language. I have taken many advanced classes of ASL and attended multiple events for the deaf and know that, even though, there is a community all within them that utilize symbols through ASL there is a disadvantage of relaying complex thoughts, especially in an environment that is not favorable to the hearing impaired. I see many people when I attend the seminars or events for the deaf speak louder, I’m assuming because they feel they may be able to “hear” them if they spoke louder. I also noticed people speak slower and pronounce their words. The one thing I noticed with those who use symbolic language with words/alphabet compared to those who may use symbolic language such as ASL, is people feel that is they don’t know ASL, even as a beginner, they cannot communicate or be productive in complex dialect.

Part 2
I absolutely was fighting myself to not use any gestures or physical embellishments while having my conversation. In fact, I did not go the entire 15 minutes! I realized what I did and sat on my hands but I can honestly say I was having an “inner fight” to not use any physical gestures to relay my message. I found myself stopping what I was saying. What I mean is, I was so focused on not using physical embellishments that I would lose my train of thought or kind of stutter with what I was saying, like not being able to get the words out. It was intense actually. I think that non speech ways of communicating hinders what we are trying to convey. I think that body language and gestures enhance a point. I also think it re-focuses our partner to what we are saying when there is body movement; it re-directs their attention back to the person because the movement catches the eye. It’s obvious to suggest that the blind are at a disadvantage to reading body language. I do think that it is an adaptive benefit to reading a person’s body movements to emphasize what might be being relayed. I think it is a skill; however, can be taken wrongly. One can use this benefit to their advantage if there is someone they may like, or even driving your car and paying attention to the way people are moving on the sidewalk to determine if they will most likely try to cross or stay on a straight path. There are many advantages to being able to read body movement. I also use body language in my profession as a paramedic. I am not only listening to my patients, watching the monitors, I am also watching my patient’s body language. I am looking for signs of discomfort/pain; breathing difficulties, etc…body language is an aspect I use daily to assess my scene/my patients. Perhaps an environmental environment that may not be an advantage to reading body movement would be at a job interview. I think that people who try to convey how the interview went through the body gestures, body language given during the interview could come across differently than what was intended. In meaning, if a potential employee feels they interview went sour because the employer sat with hands crossed, little eye contact, or poor facial expressions doesn’t mean the interview went bad. It could simply mean the interviewer was intent on this person, focusing on key aspects, and making mental notes.
Symbolic language is definitely a unique characteristic of humans that was essential to furthering our lives into complex thinkers, great communicators which led to great inventions, transformations, and uniting our species.

5 comments:

  1. Darlene,
    I also found it extremely difficult to speak without hand gestures and other embellishments. I always knew I was expressive, but I had no idea just how much unspoken "language" I was using. I just wanted to add that I have also taken ASL classes and have been to events for the hearing impaired. From my experience, they don't have any trouble at all communicating with each other or even with hearing individuals. They use facial expressions on a whole other level though. They are VERY expressive in this way. I think it makes it easier for everyone to understand the ideas they are conveying, even if you aren't familiar with sign language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that does absolutly play an important role in the hearing impared...facial gestures and body langauge can lead us to communicating so well with a person who can not hear. The use of symbolic language is extremely important in this community. I , as you, knew I used expression when conversing but didnt exactly realize how much I used and relied on it to get my message across until this assignment...thanks for responding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can completely relate to your experiences on this assignment. Both handicaps of communication make it so much more difficult to explain a situation thoroughly and effectively. I found it interesting reading about your experiences with the deaf. ASL is a working language, but I still feel it would be very difficult to get emotion and meaning across. They can use their bodies to show emotion, but the tone of voice and the reflection of it is so very important in deducting a conversation. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "It was most evident that the culture being able to communicate complex ideas or thoughts was the one who was able to speak a translated language."

    Exactly, and this is the main advantage one culture has over another if one possesses language and the other one doesn't. Good job expressing it.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for commenting....and it most definetly is an advantage that I am greatful I have!

    ReplyDelete